Zambia Arrests Opposition Figures Amid Insurrection Claims After Election


Zambian authorities have arrested several opposition figures following last week's presidential election, accusing them of posing a threat to national security.

Government officials said police arrested 11 people during an operation in Lusaka on August 13. Among those detained were members and associates of the opposition, including people linked to presidential candidate Brian Mundubile.

Authorities alleged that the suspects were connected to plans to destabilise the government and described the group as a serious security threat.

The arrests came as Zambia continued counting votes from the August 13 election, in which President Hakainde Hichilema is seeking a second term.

Mundubile's opposition camp has rejected the government's accusations, saying its members were not involved in any plan to overthrow the government. The opposition has also raised concerns about the conduct of the election and alleged intimidation.

Mundubile separately reported that armed officers had raided his home, an incident he described as an attack against him. Government officials, however, said police came under fire during the operation.

The arrests have added to tensions surrounding the election, which has already faced disruptions linked to violence and the theft of election materials.

As vote counting continues, authorities have urged citizens to remain calm and allow the Electoral Commission of Zambia to complete the process.

The situation has attracted attention because of concerns over political tensions and the treatment of opposition figures during the country's closely watched election.


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post